Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Name

Before coming to the US I seriously did consider getting myself an English name so that it would be easier for others to remember. Non-Chinese people generally can't pronounce Xian correctly so my name ends up sounding like something that is not pleasant to hear at all. A prof told me to get others to get used to my name so there's no need to get an English name. Some other people suggested I be known as Ying.

In the dorms, all our names are written on the door so when I saw this:


I decided to just be known as Ying. Easy to pronounce, easy to spell, though not that easy for people to remember.

Apparently the Study Abroad Office here wrote my first name as Ying, middle name as Xian, family name as Chan. So on my Campus ID card my name is "Ying X. Chan" haha quite cool huh.

No comments: