Sunday, December 21, 2008

Goodbye Raleigh and NC State

It's been 6 days since I left Raleigh and NC State. Exams ended on 15 Dec and I left 16 Dec in the evening. I felt that I had left to hurriedly. I didn't have enough time to pack my stuff properly. I didn't have enough time to say goodbye to everyone. If not for Jen and Kelvin who helped me with packing, and Liz who drove me to the airport, I think I would have missed my flight which would have been very bad. In the end the flight was delayed though, cos it was snowing in Toronto.

The last week of classes before exam week (1-5 Dec) was a week of many lasts. Besides the last classes, there was also the last AO Bible study, last Campus Crusade Homeless Outreach, last Campus Crusade Prime time meeting and last Habitat for Humanity. At that time I really didn't want to leave Raleigh and NC State. I had been used to the lifestyle and feel comfortable there. Then during the exam week I was finalising plans for my post-exam travel, I was pretty excited about it, even though that meant my time in Raleigh and NC State is up.

My post-exam travel plans keep changing. At one point Jen and I planned to go San Francisco and Los Angeles together and I was so looking forward to it. But in the end I am not going to California after all, because I couldn't get an air ticket again, and Jen couldn't get her air ticket too. I guess for some reason God doesn't want me to go, and I'm ok with it now, because the desire to go there is not as strong anymore. I would rather spend the New Year with friends then alone in San Francisco. So the plan now is that Jen will come to New York City for New Year, and some other seniors from AO will be there as well. I will also visit Philadelphia, which is where I intended to visit in the very original plan. In any case, my 17 days of travel will be packed and happening! I think that after these 17 days of moving around, I would feel like going home already.

My last Sunday in RCCC (14 Dec) was one of the best days in my time here. The church had a Christmas service. I sang in the English choir with other college students, and two of my friends came to church for the first time. I was so happy they came. Yet it was also my last day at RCCC and I said so many goodbyes that day. These are people that have been part of my life the past 4 months. Students from AO fellowship, aunties and uncles who have been so hospitable to me, people in the Chinese NCSU Student fellowship, Aunty Cindy who taught Sunday School, and many more. I may never get to see them again, until we meet in heaven.


The choir group

So from Toronto on Tues night, I met Chia Ying and we took the train to Montreal on Wed morning. Stayed for 2 nights, then took the train to Quebec City on Fri afternoon. Stayed in Quebec City for 2 nights too, and I'm back in Montreal tonight before heading down to New York City tomorrow. It's really the first time in my life seeing snow everywhere on the streets. From Toronto to Montreal to Quebec City, there was snow everywhere outdoors. The view from the train was nice, maybe cos it's my first time in my life seeing so much snow. Walking in snow is fun for the experience, but I'm sure I would get quite tired of it if I were to live here. Trying to drag my luggage on the roads covered with snow was quite a challenge but I'm sure it was good exercise for my arms and legs.


In Quebec City.

Tomorrow I will say bye to Canada, forever. Hopefully all goes well at the customs. New York City here i come!

No comments: