Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Half-way Mark


Yesterday was the half-way mark of my time in the US. I realised that my time away from Singapore will be exactly 20 weeks short of a few hours. I left on 13 Aug 7.15 am and will return on 30 Dec 11.50 pm.

So, 10 weeks has passed since I arrived in the US, and these 10 weeks were nothing short of exciting and a great eye-opener. I still remember my first night here without my luggage! It was quite sad but I guess it's a chance to learn survival skills and how to adapt too. I've learnt more about myself, what I really value and enjoy. I've seen the beauty of God's creation in the mountains, lakes, streams, waterfalls, rivers and much more.

I've seen in real life what I learnt in Geography during my secondary school days - plains with meandering rivers from the plane before landing in St. Louis, the most beautiful skyline of the sunset on the 50-min flight from Chicago to Grand Rapids, great volumes of water flowing down the rapids and waterfalls at the Niagara Falls, the beautiful fall colours and spectacular view of the mountains at the Great Smoky Mountains.

I've visited museums and learnt about historical people and events that have impacted the world. The Gerald Ford Presidential Museum in Grand Rapids was an unforgettable visit that gave an inspiration to all to live our lives for God and trusting God and His purposes. The Holocaust Museum in Washington DC gave a more elaborate account than what I had learnt in History in secondary school. What my history textbook didn't mention was how some people in different parts of Europe from different walks of life and positions attempted to protect the Jews by hiding them or assisted their escape, and it was really touching to read the stories. And the nation of Israel was created indirectly as a result of the Holocaust, showing God's sovereignty in all situations.

I've the opportunity to live in a temperate country, seeing the beautiful colours of fall. Although the erratic weather can be quite frustrating at times, in addition to still not knowing how much to wear at what temperature, it has been a good experience to live in this autumn season for the first time in my life.

I've got to know many people from different parts of the world, the other exchange students, as well as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. It's encouraging to see how God is at work in the lives of people and how people are on fire for God.

I could go on and on about the good experiences I had these past 10 weeks. God's blessings overflow, what more can I ask for? He has given me more than what I have asked for, and beyond what I imagined, even things I didn't ask for. May I not forget His goodness in my life!

Looking forward to more adventures ahead in the next 10 weeks! :)

No comments: